backgroung

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Accountability

Today starts another new writing opportunity. I love these opportunities to focus on my writing, but I realize I need accountability. In the past, I’ve only been successful because I have had great friends and colleagues holding me accountable and cheering me on! This year I’m adding to that group with a colleague from my school (hey Ginny!👋), and I’m really excited about the month ahead. So thank you Mandy, Sandy, Brittany, Yesi, and especially Tenille (and anyone I left out). Without you guys pushing me along, I don’t think I would be continuing to sign up for these great opportunities.

I noticed a similar phenomenon happening in my classroom. We are working through a writing piece, and my students aren’t willing to let go of their own accountability partners, even when it’s an assessment. They deeply believe in the power of these relationships and their conversations are inspiring. One of my students was struggling with how to layout his story, so his partner set up labeled parts for him to think about what might go where (the orange). The writer was then free to think about how the story might be told in a way that builds to a climax and then ‘gets better’.


These kids were so eager to get/give feedback! They were working on helping their partners’ story hold a reader’s attention.

My point is, I guess, that it doesn’t matter whether you are a child or an adult, it is comforting to have a tribe of people with who you can share and you are confident they will be there to keep you on track.

See ya tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Tara Reed


2 comments:

  1. I love how you connected your students supporting one another to the connections we share as colleagues. Grateful for the educators in my life who continue to sharpen, grow, and challenge me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like friends to help you along on your journey as a writer! So glad you're part of #TeachWritetober19! LOVE to see your students supporting each other too! Powerful!!!

    ReplyDelete